My PhD Survival Kit


Much of this blog seems to document the milestones throughout my academic year(s), the conferences, fun trips, key stages of my research, and stumbling points, etc.  However, since it started out as 'A Day in the Life of a Classics and Ancient History PhD Student', I felt that it could do with giving a bit more insight into the day to day activities…

Of course, no two students or PhD projects are the same, but these are just a few bits and bobs I cannot live without. A few tools of the trade which I’m always glad to have to hand when I’m working at my desk. Some are sentimental, some are silly, but ALL are useful in one way or another. 


In no particular order: 

1) Coffee
This may seem like an obvious choice, but as any student will tell you, it is a real necessity. My real coffee addiction/dependence began during my A-Levels, specifically during my A-Level Latin classes. We had a double session scheduled first thing on a Tuesday morning, so our teacher would bring along a giant pot of coffee to coax us awake and generally make us less miserable. His plan worked, and Taylor’s ‘Hot Lava Java’ coffee has been a staple in my cupboards ever since.
(Note: I am NOT one of those hipster coffee snobs. Yes, I can enjoy unusual and fancy coffees now and again, but you just don’t have time for that sort of silliness on a day to day basis.)




2) Mont Blanc Fountain Pen
Call me old fashioned, but I’ve always been a big fan of fountain pens.  Ever since I received my first one at the age of five (after months of begging my parents and convincing them that I was not a liability), I’ve loved shopping for fountain pens, nibs, and inks. After all, everyone needs a hobby.  This pen was a 21st birthday present, and something I’d wanted for years. It writes beautifully, and I’m pretty traditional in that I prefer writing by hand when I’m gathering ideas or piecing together larger chapters and sections of writing. I try and make sure that whenever I use it (jotting down things, taking notes in supervision meetings, or scribbling away during conferences) I’m writing something to further my project and career and make my parents proud.

3) Noise Cancelling Headphones
These are certainly another necessity, particularly if you spend as much time on trains as I do (people do not understand that noisy children have no place in the designated quiet coach).  I find that, providing I have a decent set of headphones, trains offer a great working environment. The internet on board is generally a bit crap, and there’s nowhere to escape from your to-do list, so you have no choice but to put your head down and get to work (unless you have packed some recreational reading).  Yes, using headphones all the time can lead to your office mates thinking you are ignoring them whenever they ask you anything, but they are also great for shutting out the world and getting into the writing zone.

4) A Wooden Bookstand
Now, this is hands down the best gift I’ve ever received.  Your book stays open as you read/take notes, you avoid that annoying pain in your neck from looking down at a weird angle, and there are even handy little feet to hold your pages for you. Particularly useful for when you’re analyzing sections of Greek or Latin text and need to keep staring at the same pages for hours on end. What’s not to like?!


5) A Good Under-Eye Concealer
The final item on this list may seem a little trivial, but I’ve found that this really is an essential for day-to-day PhD life.  And this doesn’t just apply to the females out there.  In this day and age, anyone can benefit from a little touching up now and again. The unfortunate reality is that I’m tired ALL THE DAMN TIME, probably a deserved side effect of repeatedly and continuingly biting off more than a reasonable person can chew.  However, with the right tool to hide those dark circles, people might just think that you are not as sleepy as you feel on the inside and might assume that you are organized and have your life together. No guarantees, but I’ve certainly found that concealer can hide a multitude of flaws…

(I opt for Benefit's Boi-ing concealer to disguise my misery and exhaustion)

Over & Out,
E




Comments

Popular Posts!

Learning to Love…Ovid!

The Importance of Going Outside

Summer of Classics 2015: Sicily and the Valle dei Templi